Geoffrey Rush will return for another Pirates of the Caribbean film on this condition

New Photo - Geoffrey Rush will return for another Pirates of the Caribbean film on this condition

“I don’t want it to be too cheesy and too easy that I come back,” the actor tells EW at TIFF. Geoffrey Rush will return for another Pirates of the Caribbean film on this condition “I don’t want it to be too cheesy and too easy that I come back,” the actor tells EW at TIFF. By Emlyn Travis :maxbytes(150000):stripicc()/EmlynTravisauthorphotocba6765b433b4f93b9398d18053153b1.jpg) Emlyn Travis Emlyn Travis is a news writer at . She has been working at EW since 2022. Her work has previously appeared on MTV News, Teen Vogue, and NME. EW's editorial guidelines September 14, 2026 5:04 p.m.

“I don’t want it to be too cheesy and too easy that I come back,” the actor tells EW at TIFF.

Geoffrey Rush will return for another Pirates of the Caribbean film on this condition

“I don’t want it to be too cheesy and too easy that I come back,” the actor tells EW at TIFF.

By Emlyn Travis

Emlyn Travis author photo

Emlyn Travis

Emlyn Travis is a news writer at **. She has been working at EW since 2022. Her work has previously appeared on MTV News, Teen Vogue, and NME.

EW's editorial guidelines

September 14, 2026 5:04 p.m. ET

Leave a Comment

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) Geoffrey Rush

Geoffrey Rush in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’ (2011). Credit:

- Geoffrey Rush is detailing what it would take for him to return for another *Pirates of the Caribbean *film.

- The actor tells ** that he wouldn’t want to reprise his role as Captain Barbossa as just “another payday.”

- He adds, “I don’t want it to be too cheesy and too easy that I come back.”

Aye aye, Captain! Geoffrey Rush is sharing what it would take to get him to set sail on another *Pirates of the Caribbean* film.

The actor tells ** that he’d only want to resurrect his character Captain Barbossa for the right reasons — like haunting Johnny Depp’s infamous pirate, Jack Sparrow.

“I think there’s been a big enough break,” Rush explains during a recent visit to EW’s studio at the Toronto International Film Festival. “I sacrificed myself for my daughter. I don’t want it to be too cheesy and too easy that I come back and go, ‘Give me another payday.’ I respect the scale of the opera that’s almost been created in that 20-year period.”

 Geoffrey Rush of 'Mr. Nelson, Did You Kill People?' poses in the Getty Images Portrait Studio presented by IMDb and IMDbPro during the Toronto International Film Festival at InterContinental Toronto Centre on September 14, 2026

Geoffrey Rush on Sept. 14, 2026, at the Toronto International Film Festival.

Gareth Cattermole/Getty

Barbossa has died not once, but *twice* across the five *Pirates* films. He was famously shot and “killed” by Jack Sparrow in the first film,* The Curse of the Black Pearl,* and later risked his life so that his daughter Carina Smyth (Kaya Scodelario) could live in 2017’s* Dead Men Tell No Tales*.

But Rush doesn’t think Captain Barbossa’s story necessarily has to end just because he’s dead.

Orlando Bloom says 'Pirates of the Caribbean' needs 'everybody back' for a new film to succeed

Keira Knightley, Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp in Pirates of the Caribbean

Jerry Bruckheimer thinks Johnny Depp will do a sixth 'Pirates of the Caribbean' movie

Johnny Depp for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

“I go to Shakespeare and go to Hamlet’s father comes back as a ghost, and I thought that could be really,” he says, before trailing off. “It’ll take good writing, but just to come back and annoy Jack Sparrow for one more go, you know? I’d even say get the fans to write in what they’d like to see happen.”

Barbossa and Sparrow started with an antagonistic relationship in the *Pirates* films (Sparrow *did* kill Barbossa, after all!), but the pair ultimately found themselves as begrudging allies by the last film.

***Get your daily dose of entertainment news, celebrity updates, and what to watch with our ******EW Dispatch newsletter******.***

Rush isn’t the only Pirates star interested in potentially hopping aboard the franchise again. His costar Orlando Bloom similarly told EW that he asks “all the time” about a potential sixth installment and still speaks with his fellow *Pirates* crew often.

“I do connect with [Depp] every now and again, because he’s amazing,” Bloom said. “But I think, it’s like, that was so fun and it was such a zeitgeist-y thing. I mean, I don’t know how they do it or when they do it, but I haven’t heard.”

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2011) Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush

Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush in ‘Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides’ (2011).

Bloom went on to note that the *Pirates* films have become incredibly nostalgic to their fanbase over the years.

“I think nostalgia is such a big thing in the world today. So we keep harking back to these things, because of the nostalgia and what the feeling you had watching whatever your favorite thing was,” Bloom explained. “There’s that kind of thing that I think we’re seeing in movies as well. So we’ll see.”

- Sci-Fi & Fantasy Movies

Original Article on Source

Source: "EW Sci-Fi"

Read More


Source: Sci-Fi

Published: September 15, 2026 at 02:00AM on Source: RED MAG

#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle

 

RED MAG © 2015 | Distributed By My Blogger Themes | Designed By Templateism.com