&x27;I called King Charles by the wrong title and swore but his response really surprised me&x27; Hannah Furnell Tue, August 18, 2026 at 3:26 PM UTC 0 King Charles' response to his former gardener who used his former title was priceless Credit:Getty Images Everyone had to get used to Prince Charles becoming King Charles, even his gardener. After 73 years of being referred to as Your Highness as Prince Charles, the now77yearold became known as Your Majesty as King Charles upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, on September 8, 2022.
'I called King Charles by the wrong title and swore but his response really surprised me'

Hannah Furnell Tue, August 18, 2026 at 3:26 PM UTC
0

King Charles' response to his former gardener who used his former title was priceless -Credit:Getty Images
Everyone had to get used to Prince Charles becoming King Charles, even his gardener.
After 73 years of being referred to as Your Highness as Prince Charles, the now-77-year-old became known as Your Majesty as King Charles upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, on September 8, 2022. Of course, in the wake of his ascension to the throne, there was a transitional period for the entire country. However, those closest to Charles had a rougher time coming to terms with his new title.
It comes as it emerged Prince William and Kate are taking these actions to avoid their kids ending up like Prince Harry.
Jack Stooks, the former head gardener of Charles' country residence, Highgrove, worked for him for several decades and witnessed a very different side of the monarch away from the spotlight. However, at the beginning of Charles' reign, he forgot he worked for the monarch.
• Harry and Meghan reportedly 'considering public apology' leaving William 'blindsided'
• Whitney Houston's horrifying autopsy – burned skin, sewn-on wig and scars everywhere
Now, Stooks has revealed what happened when he mixed up Charles' new title and swore about it in front of him.
Advertisement
Speaking to CasinoHawks, Stooks recalled an evening when he was trying to fix a leak in the garden when he ended up having an embarrassing encounter with Charles, whom he called "The Boss."
He revealed he had accidentally sworn at him before calling him "Your Highness" instead of "Your Majesty." However, Stooks said the King's response left him shocked, as it showed off a different side of the monarch.

King Charles became monarch upon the death of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II, on September 8, 2022 -Credit:WPA Pool, Getty Images
He explained, "We had a call about a leak in the irrigation system. The King hates any sort of waste, and losing water like this is a big no-no, so the gardeners rushed to fix it.
"I was in one of the bushes, bent down trying to fix this pipe, and I heard someone walking through the tunnel towards me. I stood up, thinking they needed to speak to me, and came face to face with the King.
"I was a bit thrown, so I said, 'Good evening, Your Highness.' However, this was just after he had become King, so this was the wrong greeting. As soon as I said it, I realized my mistake and panicked, and in that moment, I ended up swearing. I apologized and addressed him correctly as 'Your Majesty.'"

King Charles' former gardener at Highgrove said he was understanding about everyone getting used to his new title once he became king -Credit:PA
Stooks added, "He was completely fine about it. He just told me it was okay and not to worry. He said he was still getting used to the change in title as well. He's a very kind man, and this is just one example of how understanding he is."
The former head gardener also recalled how Highgrove staff thought they wouldn't see much of Charles once he became King. However, Stooks confirmed Charles still spent a lot of time in the gardens and with the gardeners after taking the throne.
Stooks said, "I remember thinking that when Charles became King, we wouldn’t see him as much. I thought his relaxed approach to life at home would change, but it didn't. He still spent a lot of time with the gardeners and was very hands-on. That didn’t change even when he took the crown." Meanwhile, Prince Harry and Meghan are reportedly 'considering a public apology' after leaving Prince William 'blindsided'.
Source: "AOL Entertainment"
Source: Entertainment
Published: August 18, 2026 at 06:36PM on Source: RED MAG
#ShowBiz#Sports#Celebrities#Lifestyle