Elijah Cummings: The Larger-Than-Life Congressman With a Common Touch



Individuals typically say you must never meet your heroes, as a result of there’s an excellent probability they’ll allow you to down. I gained’t argue with that logic, however I will inform you that as a young kid rising up in Baltimore Metropolis, I grew to idolize Congressman Elijah Cummings, who embodied every little thing I needed to be. And, ultimately, I met him.

From the barbershop to cable information studios, individuals keep in mind Cummings as a legend in the Home of Representatives, where he served for more than 20 years, together with as chair of the Oversight Committee, defending our democracy and, in recent times, dealing with off towards President Donald Trump. But the congressman additionally had a human contact, and persistently took outing of his work to get to know his constituents and to mentor individuals like me.

I used to be raised by a hard-working mother who made immense sacrifices to make sure that my sister and I have been taken care of. But being the product of a single-parent household, I noticed at an early age the distinctive position that men play in our houses, households and communities. I deliberately sought out position fashions for what it meant to be a superb and honorable man. And while I had an incredible village of men and women who helped to ensure I used to be raised right—coaches, academics, neighbors—there was one who I appeared to as my instance of find out how to be a public servant, and that was Elijah Cummings.

I didn’t know the congressman at that time in my younger life, but I knew of him. He was actually an enormous in my eyes—but relatable to all his constituents. It wasn’t just what I heard him say or what I noticed him do. It was more about the best way individuals I respected in my group talked about him when he wasn’t round. He carried a lot dignity and honor in the eyes of these he served, in each corner of the town.


I ultimately met the congressman, our Elijah, at my highschool graduation. Though our encounter was temporary, I used to be unbelievably proud to say I had met him, and I knew from that moment that he was someone I needed to continue to look up to.

Because the years handed, I ran for workplace and worked to realize his love and respect. His mentoring influenced me deeply, and I counted the congressman as one in every of my largest supporters. I might call on him, and I did—often—for recommendation, options, coverage debates, and even his thoughts on family and marriage. My wife, Marilyn, serves as Baltimore Metropolis state’s lawyer, and every time we wrestled over a problem or an concept, inevitably we agreed to “see what Elijah thinks” earlier than we made a decision.

It’s arduous to put into phrases all that I have discovered from the congressman, but what I will maintain on to principally is that he was a person of the individuals, equally comfortable with a head of state in Washington or walking by means of the guts of West Baltimore with residents. He mastered the widespread touch and taught all of us that when you’re going to be respected and efficient in places like Baltimore Metropolis, the individuals have to be in a position see, touch and really feel you.

It was not onerous for the congressman to hit the streets and lead the efforts to restore peace and order in our group following the demise of Freddie Grey in 2015. He might command the respect of each protesters and regulation enforcement. Locking arms with him and helping to deliver calm to a really risky state of affairs was an up-and-close encounter that I cherish. He tirelessly helped to save lots of the town from higher loss of life and property by actually standing in between protesters and police begging for time and peace. He minimize no deals and provided no judgments; he simply staked his good identify and his well-earned credibility on the promise that better days would come and justice can be pursued.

Our Elijah leaves us much unfinished business to deal with in our city and our country, but he additionally leaves a shining example of how a good and trustworthy servant appears, leads and builds. On the December night time when the Home impeached Trump, two months after Cummings’ dying, Speaker Nancy Pelosi invoked his efforts to protect our democracy, and mirrored, “We did all we might, Elijah.”

Our Elijah had the reach and respect of a “kingmaker,” with a larger-than-life presence. However his unyielding humility, passion and love dominated that persona, guided his actions and made him uninterested within the throne. I am eternally indebted and beyond grateful that my hero, Congressman Elijah Cummings, never dissatisfied me and turned out to be even better than advertised.


Article originally revealed on POLITICO Magazine


Src: Elijah Cummings: The Larger-Than-Life Congressman With a Common Touch
==============================
New Smart Way Get BITCOINS!
CHECK IT NOW!
==============================

No comments:

Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.