I found my family’s sports memorabilia under my father-in-law’s desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000 | 1MND9K5 | 2024-04-30 17:08:01

New Photo - I found my family's sports memorabilia under my father-in-law's desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000 | 1MND9K5 | 2024-04-30 17:08:01
I found my family's sports memorabilia under my father-in-law's desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000 | 1MND9K5 | 2024-04-30 17:08:01

FAMILY heirlooms can be a surprise source of cash for those who get them appraised.

Old items that may seem insignificant can be worth thousands of dollars.

I found my family's sports memorabilia under my father-in-law's desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000
I found my family's sports memorabilia under my father-in-law's desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000
PBS/Antiques Roadshow
The man got his collection from his family[/caption]
I found my family's sports memorabilia under my father-in-law's desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000
I found my family's sports memorabilia under my father-in-law's desk – an expert told me the date makes it worth $25,000
PBS/Antiques Roadshow
The old collection showed his wife's ancestor, who played for UNC[/caption]

One man found an old collection of football memorabilia in the 1990s.

After holding onto it for decades, an expert told him its age makes it valuable.

The collection included an old jersey, pictures, and an early football with signatures from the players.

It all dated back to University of North Carolina's 1895 team.

THE FIND

An older man brought the collection onto the PBS series Antiques Roadshow, where an expert evaluated it.

He said he'd found the football years ago with his father-in-law.

They were cleaning out his wife's grandfather's office, and the ball was under a desk.

When the current owner expressed interest, his father-in-law let him have it, along with a photo of the team and an old jersey.

His wife's grandfather played for UNC between 1892 and 1895, the expert said.

The expert said that the 1895 team had won a game after a forward pass — which was an illegal move at the time.

                    <!-- End of Brightcove Player -->  

The referees missed the move, allowing UNC to win.

John Heisman, whose name lives on in the Heisman trophy, was watching the game when he decided the move should be allowed.

After years of pushing, it became an official move in 1906.

The evaluator said the whole set was worth more than the sum of its parts.

He said to insure the items for $25,000.

"That's great news, I had no idea," the owner said.

MORE ANTIQUES

Another piece of memorabilia recently turned up on the show.

A signed Major League Baseball Hall of Fame program turned out to be worth $50,000.

                        <p class="article__content--intro">                  Antiques Roadshow has helped people put a price on their treasures since 1979. Here are some of the most interesting finds              </p>          </div>  </div>  

Antiques Roadshow also revealed an unusual vase.

The rose pot was worth around $25,000.

A woman learned on the show that her $25 coffee mug was worth around $6,000.

A pricey baseball card recently sold at auction for over $16 million.

#found #familys #sports #memorabilia #under #fatherinlaws #desk #expert #told #date #makes #worth #25000 #US #UK #NZ #PH #NY #LNDN #Manila #Money

More >> https://ift.tt/D29MsKN Source: MAG NEWS

No comments:

Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.