Michael Smith says Luke Littler attention helped him win Premier League Night One

New Photo - Michael Smith says Luke Littler attention helped him win Premier League Night One
Michael Smith says Luke Littler attention helped him win Premier League Night One
2024 BetMGM Premier League Darts - Cardiff
Michael Smith is the primary weekly winner of this yr's Premier League (Picture: Getty Photographs)

Michael Smith beat Luke Littler on his option to profitable Premier League Night time One and he thinks the eye the teenager is attracting is a boost to his personal recreation.

The Bully Boy enjoyed the right begin to his marketing campaign, beating Michael van Gerwen, Littler and then Gerwyn Worth within the ultimate to win the first weekly bonus and go prime of the desk.

The 33-year-old went into final yr's Premier League marketing campaign as world champion and world primary, however can boast neither accolade this time around with Luke Humphries claiming each.

It is Littler that's attracting all the eye, although, as the 17-year-old turned a worldwide celebrity for his performances during the last two months and Smith is enjoying with the ability to fly underneath the radar.

'One of the best factor about this yr is I turn up tonight and by no means get asked to do an interview,' Smith informed Sky Sports activities. 'As quickly as Littler walked in…I can just attempt to get back to it now.

'Final yr I couldn't sit for 5 minutes. It was a special expertise for me and I don't assume I dealt with it nicely. I used to be making an attempt to play like a world champion, like world primary, placing too much strain. This yr I don't really care, simply get on with it.'

Smith added that Littler's new stardom is just a profit for other gamers financially, as well as taking the strain of the spotlight away from them.

2024 BetMGM Premier League Darts - Cardiff
Michael Smith edged out Littler 6-5 in their semi-final (Picture: Getty Photographs)

'I don't assume anybody's followed anyone as much as they've followed Luke, even greater than Phil Taylor,' stated Smith. 'He's gained 16 Worlds but Luke's the preferred thing.

'I'm going to experience the wave as a result of if everybody retains following, the sponsors hold coming in, the prize money retains going up for us lads.

'He can do all the onerous work, do all the press that he needs, we just get paid on the finish of the day.'

Smith fell early in the defence of his World Championship title but he's sounding constructive as he seems to be to regain prime type in 2024.

'Coming into this, it's a recent yr, I was not completely happy that I misplaced within the Worlds, I'm now a former world champion and I would like it again,' he stated.

'Coming in tonight I needed to prove lots of people fallacious saying it's my darts, it's this, it's that. It's not the darts, it's me, simply not training, not doing anything proper.

'Now, the final three months I've been working actually onerous, I've not discovered it but tonight I've found glimpses and I've gained.'

MORE : Luke Littler did things on the dartboard in my house that I've never seen anyone do – Nathan Aspinall

MORE : James Wade warns Luke Littler the Premier League campaign will 'come at a cost'

For more tales like this, check our sport page.

Comply with Metro Sport for the newest information on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.


More >> https://ift.tt/Qg7NmMr Source: RED ROADS

No comments:

Theme images by Jason Morrow. Powered by Blogger.